Friday, January 21, 2011

PUBLIC SQUARE: To The Unborn, With Love We Remember You.

tM January is pro-life month. This means that marches are going on all over the country in support of pro-life causes such as the end to abortion. The biggest one is The Walk for Life and it seems awesome! But the sad part is that while typing this I’m fearful. I’m scared of my words being offensive to a pro-choice reader or that people who don’t necessarily believe the way I do will think I’m being insensitive to those women who have gone through an abortion. They may think I don’t understand what they’re going through or their life story, which supposedly justified their choice to abort. And they’re right. I’m not here to judge. I’m here to stand up for the life of the unborn. I understand that abortion is a sensitive subject to many. Heck, I had to mull the thought over about whether I should write about this for a few days. And truly my Heart goes out to all the women who have been affected by abortion. I may not know the lives of all these women but I want to shed light on the lives of the babies whom none of us will ever know. I'm not fearful to share my views anymore. 

Consider Nelson Mandela, Babe Ruth, Steve Jobs, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jamie Foxx, Nat King Cole, Willie Nelson, George Washington Carver, Faith Hill, John Lennon, J.R.R Tolkien, Aristotle, Jesse Jackson, and Langston Hughes (just to name a few). Our world truly would not be the same without these people. Funny thing though! One thing they all have in common- they’re adopted. Their parents chose life.  In the United States, about 1.3 million babies are aborted every year. Just think how many more people like those previously listed could be contributing to this world had they just been given a chance.

A life begins at the moment of conception. What a bold statement. Very controversial, but I have no shame in saying it. A life begins at the moment of conception. Don’t believe me? Well some of the top doctors do, because they have done enough research to prove it.

Like Dr. Jerome Lejeune, who was a well-respected physician, Doctor of Science, and a Professor of genetics for 25 years.  Dr. Lejeune actually founded the genetic cause for Down’s Syndrome. He was the recipient of many awards and said the proof that life begins at conception lied in the root and creation of a DNA molecule.

A quote from Dr. Lejeune off the “Physicians for Life” website says:

Each of us has a very precise starting moment which is the time at which the whole necessary and sufficient genetic information is gathered inside one cell, the fertilized egg, and this is the moment of fertilization. There is not the slightest doubt about that and we know that this information is written on a kind of ribbon which we call the DNA…Nature has used the smallest possible language to carry the information from father to children, from mother to children, from generation to generation…At no time is the human being a blob of protoplasm. As far as your nature is concerned, I see no difference between the early person that you were at conception and the late person, which you are now. You were and are a human being."

Nicely put Dr. Lejeune.

            But we can’t forget the mothers too. Whether many women want to admit it or not, they suffer when they abort. How can you not? Now is time more than ever to show love to these women who desperately need it the most.  
Like I said before, my heart goes out to these women who made the painful decision. Post- Abortion Trauma often causes women to feel guilty and depressed even to the point of suicide (Don’t believe me? Then please look it up). To top it off, not only does abortion cause emotional and mental pain, but physical pain as well. Abortions can pose as a health threat to women, some even leading to infections, bleeding, fever, cervical laceration, future miscarriages, and in some cases, even death. Society has to take this into account. Although its understandable to see where pro-choice advocates are coming from, shouldn’t this information be enough for them to see that abortion only leads to more suffering.
I don’t know about you, but if my neighbor was about to make a decision that could one day potentially lead them down the road of deep depression to the point where they consider taking their own life, I would want to intervene and help them make a better choice. Religiously speaking , I am my brothers (or in this case, sister’s) keeper. I don’t know one person who regretted having their baby after giving birth. And society should stop walking on egg shells around people and start spreading hope to the many women who have an “unwanted” pregnancy. For starters, what about adoption? Did you read how many famous people were adopted. Just think these babies could have been the doctor to cure diseases like Cancer or HIV, or maybe the first women president? The possibilities are endless. Hope. That’s a word more of these women could use. If they’re in an abusive relationship or can’t financially afford a baby, there are many programs that provide a safe place and resources. Hope. Let’s spread it.

In the Wise Words of Dr. Seuss, “A person is a person no matter how small.” So to all the babies who never got to experience the sunshine, their first steps, or dunking their face in the frosting of their first birthday cake, know that you are loved. May the month of January be a time to remember you. Happy Birthday. tM

No comments:

Post a Comment